Saturday, June 27, 2009

Strawberry and Goat Cheese Scone


I'm a miss-matcher of sort. When Adrian says something like "I don't like XXX" Next, you'll see me searching frantically over the internet for the XXX recipes. In fact, just this evening, he mentioned his distaste for frozen English muffin and declared that I would make it my mission to bake some good ones. My man knew me too well.
Anyway, I digress. So far, I have successfully changed his taste for Chocolate Fudge and Eggplant (sort of). This time, it's scone. Not that he hates it but the dryness.
I like the sound of tarty strawberry with the acquired goat cheese - seemed to taste good as I imagined it. I was a little hesitant with whole wheat flour but it turned out well. In fact, it gave the scone a sort of bonus crunchy bite. I also used brown sugar instead of white sugar.
I halved the recipe and still got 6 good-sized (about palm big) scones. The scones were served with homemade strawberry jam and overnight sour cream (lemon juice + cream). Adrian claimed it to be the best scone (and sour cream) he ever had. They were perfect with the strawberry jam and second with raspberry (short of strawberry jam supply).
I also made Mulled Hot Chocolate again, which was even better than the last one!! However, coffee lover takes note: the spices in this hot chocolate don't seem to fare well as mocha material. It was ok for me because I dislike espresso but not something for a coffee snob (like Adrian).

Ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/3 cup butter, chilled and cut into large pieces
1/2-3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries

  1. Preheat oven at 200C.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
  3. Toss chilled butter into the flour mixture. Using your fingers, rub the butter pieces with the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand. It's ok to have some pea-sized pieces.
  4. Stir in milk, goat cheese and strawberry to combine.
  5. Divide the batter into 6 portions and flatten into 1 inch rounds on a baking sheet. Cut each round into triangle.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
  7. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment