Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Smoked Fish and Egg Salad Tartine on Roasted Potato

I have this strange attraction to egg mayonnaise. Everytime I order the make-your-own sandwich at Central Chitlom Food Court, I inevitably tick egg mayonnaise on top of the roasted vegetables. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate trying to stuff as many fillings into the bread as possible at THB149.
I made quite a bit of adaptation to the Smoked Salmon and Egg Salad Tartine recipe. Firstly, I used smoked snow fish. Secondly, instead of using bread, I used roasted potato as the base. I also added sour cream and Kew Pie mayonnaise just for fun. Besides dill, I suspect tarragon and chive would work well in the egg salad, too.
Now that I have made my own egg mayonnaise, I shall never look at the deli sandwich in the same light ever.

Ingredients:
(makes 2 servings)
1 Large potato
sea salt and olive oil
sprinkle of chopped thyme leaves

3 large eggs
2 tablespoon real mayonnaise
swirl of Kew Pie (Japanese mayonnaise)
1 tablespoon sour cream (lemon juice + cream)
1 teaspoon Dijon wholegrain mustard
salt and pepper to taste
chopped dill

2 slices smoked snow fish
  1. Preheat oven to 200C. Halve the potato lengthwise, brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with generous amount of sea salt. Sprinkle some chopped thyme over the cut side. Put to the oven and let roast until just tender.
  2. Fill saucepan with enough water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil and turn off the heat. Let sit for exactly 11 minutes. Transfer the eggs to ice cold water to stop cooking. Peel and mash roughly.
  3. In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Kew Pie, sour cream, mustard, and dill. Stir in mashed eggs. Taste and adjust with seasoning
  4. When the potatoes are ready, remove from the oven and top it with a slice of smoked fish. Spoon egg salad over the smoked fish and garnish with a sprig of dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment