Thursday, June 18, 2009

Salt-Kissed Buttermilk Cake



Salt-kissed. What a name. Perfect for our Second First-Kissed Anniversary, I thought. It's super easy and fuss free. I reduced the volume to 1/4 to fit a heart-shaped mould. I should have reduced it to just 1/2 so I could fill the Teddy bear-mould, too.
For some reason they don't sell buttermilk here (although I vaguely remember seeing it once at Central Chitlom). If you can't find it either, mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and top it up to one cup with milk. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
I like the crunchiness that came from the whole wheat flour. I would add more strawberries (or other berries) next time and not skim on the sugar topping.

Ingredients:

· 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

· 1 tablespoon baking powder

· 1/2 cup brown sugar

· 1/2 teaspoon salt

· 2 eggs

· 1 cup buttermilk

· 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled a bit

· zest of 2 lemons

· 1 cup of raspberries (strawberries, in my case.)

· 3 tablespoons large grain sugar

· 1 teaspoon large grain salt (Sea salt works well here.)

Preheat oven to 400. Grease and flour (or line bottom with parchment paper) one 11″ tart pan. (I used a heart-shaped mould)

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. In a separate smaller bowl whisk eggs and buttermilk, then melted butter and zest. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.

Spoon batter into prepared pan, pushing out to edges. Drop berries across the top. (I squished them in a bit too.) Sprinkle with large grain sugar and then salt. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until cake is set and slightly golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment