Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Baked Salmon with Lemon Butter Caper


One skill I'm yet to develop as a cook is to buy quantify things. I'm such an idiot comes to estimation. I'm always afraid of not having enough. Hence, there's always extra ingredients. That's exactly what happened to the salmon fillets that I bought for the superbly delicious Almond Crusted Salmond Fillet with Lemon Leek Cream Sauce. Seriously, I was calculating and analysing while I stood looking at the various sizes of salmon. I spent long enough time in front of the fish monger that he was seriously getting annoyed. Still, I came home with one too many fillet. It was lucky that I had the foresight to seek Adrian's advise before I went ahead and cook. Although that dinner was a real kick.
The extra salmon fillet was already in marination when I had it figured. But I trusted Adrian that it would do no harm freezing it. A week later, I took it out and make a Lemon Butter Caper sauce to go with it. It's still good. Not as good as the Almond Crusted Salmon though. Having said that, I do like the combination of lemon and caper with the fillet. I didn't have lemon and used big lime instead. It worked fine.

Ingredients:
  • 2 (5 ounce) salmon fillets
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 lemon slices
  • Lemon Caper Butter (recipe follows)
  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and oiled lightly.
  3. Place salmon fillets on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper. Place 2 lemon slices on top of each fillet. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and tent with aluminum foil for 10 more minutes. Fish will continue to cook during this time. It will flake easily when done.
  4. Remove lemon slices and discard. Gently slide a turner or serving spatula between the skin and the flesh of the fillet to remove the skin, it should separate very easily. Transfer fillet to a serving platter and spoon lemon caper butter over the top.

Lemon Caper Butter

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons capers drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • juice of 1/2 of a lemon
  • salt and fresh cracked pepper
  1. In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
  2. Once butter has melted add garlic, capers, lemon zest and lemon juice. Cook for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment