Sunday, June 21, 2009

Apricot Agave Nectar Souffle

I was a little disappointed with the souffle. I thought it would be awesome. Was it because I used frozen apricot instead of dried apricot? Also, I was hoping of a consistency creme brule instead of quiche. My bad.




Ingredients:

1 cup dried apricots, chopped (I used frozen)
2 tablespoons superfine sugar (cane sugar)
2 egg yolks
1 ½ tablespoons honey, warmed (I used Agave nectar)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
4 egg whites
confectioners’ sugar, to dust

Place the apricots in a saucepan with ½ cup cold water, or enough to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the apricots are soft and pulpy. Drain and process in a food processor to a purée. (I puree the frozen apricot)

Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease a 6 cup soufflé dish* and sprinkle the bottom and sides with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Put the egg yolks, honey, lemon zest and apricot purée and beat until smooth.

Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form, then beat in the remaining sugar. Fold 1 tablespoon egg whites into the apricot mixture and mix well. Lightly fold in the remaining egg white, being careful to keep the mixture light and aerated. Spoon into the soufflé dish and level the surface. Run your thumb around the inside rim to create a gap between the mixture and the wall of the dish (this will encourage even rising).

Bake on the upper shelf in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until risen and just set.
Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve at once.

* I halved the recipe, used two 1-cup capacity soufflé dishes and baked them for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment