Thursday, June 18, 2009

Osaka-style Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki is commonly known to be Japanese-style pizza. This recipe makes Osaka-style okonomiyaki with lots of toppings. Instead of using all-purpose flour, I used whole wheat. This may explain the browner than usual color of my okonomiyaki. I found there were too much eggs and had to strain off the excess. I also replaced green onions with leeks. Instead of using pork or beef as the recipe calls for, I added scallops.
Kew Pie mayonnaise has to be one of the best. I once tried to make it and it was absolutely disastrous. I never thought of making mayonnaise again since then. I wish they would translate the many different Kew Pie on the shelf, not just to Thai but to English, or maybe Chinese or Malay....some form that I can comprehend.... I ended up picking one that was sold at the most number of bottles than others. They must have figured higher demand requires higher supply?
I like to watch bonito flakes. They seem so alive, moving in a worm-like motion. I used to think they were live anyway.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cup dashi soup stock or water
  • 4-6 eggs
  • 1 - 1 1/4 lb cabbage
  • chopped scallops
  • 6 tbsps chopped green onion
  • 2/3 cup tenkasu (tempura flakes)
  • For toppings:
  • Ao-nori (green seaweed)
  • Okonomiyaki sauce (or tonkatsu sauce)
  • Japanese Mayonnaise (Kew Pie)
  • Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
  1. Put dashi soup stock in a bowl. Mix the flour in the soup stock. Rest the batter for an hour in the refrigerator.
  2. Chop cabbage finely. Take about 1/2 cup of the batter (to make one sheet of okonimiyaki) in another bowl. Mix chopped cabbage (about 1/4 cup), chopped green onion (about 1 tbsp), and tempura flakes (about 2 tbsps) in the batter. Make a hole in the middle of the batter and add an egg in the hole. Stir the batter.
  3. Heat pan and oil slightly. Pour the batter over the pan and make a round. Cook 5-7 minutes and place scallops on top of the okonomiyaki. Flip the okonomiyaki and cook for 5-7 more minutes.
  4. Flip the okonomiyaki again and spread okonomiyaki (tonkatsu) sauce and mayonnaise on top. Sprinkle aonori over the sauce. Sprinkle with katsuobushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment