Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wholewheat Blueberry Raisin Sour Cream Scones


We were going to have dinner with a bunch of friends. What's special about the night was the kids - Sandra's pretty Korean dolls, Mia and Lauren. For some unfathomable reason they have named me the "life-size Barbie Doll". Just for your information, I have black hair and no high heels. It's a mystery how I became Barbie to the girls. But hey! Coming from such adorable kids, it must be compliment =)

So I decided to reward them. Ordinary people may just go for sweets, at least something cute and, you know, for kids. But old-fashion English scones? Yeap. That's me. Don't ask. I'm just as clueless as you are.



I used the recipe for Strawberry and Goat Cheese Scones, and made the following changes:

  1. 1/2 C raisin + dried blueberry.
  2. 1 cup wholewheat flour + 1 cup unbleached flour.
  3. sour cream (1TB lemon juice + 1 cup cream) instead of milk, which gives the scone a softer and fluffier texture.
  4. On last thought, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon and nutmeg, too. I suspect lemon zest would go pretty well.
  5. Brush sour cream over scones before baking and sprinkle top with natural cane sugar.


Serve it anyway you like although traditionalists swear by butter. I whipped up some raspberry jam and sour cream. I even brought my own sour cream and raspberry for the girls, just to make sure they enjoy it the "right" way.

No comments:

Post a Comment