Thursday, September 10, 2009

Roasted Beet with Orange and Walnut Dip


According to the Liver Detox book that I'm reading, beet root is good for toning and rebuilding the liver. Something I want to share with Nook. There has been ongoing investigation on the role of beet extract in protecting normal and diabetic livers, as well as they role on elevated cholesterol level in individual with cancer.

While the Romans used beet for fever and constipation, Roman soldiers famously coined 'take favours in the beetroot fields', as an euphemism for visiting the prostitute - beet root juice has been considered as aphrodisiac since the Roman times.

Beet root really is one of nature's many wonders - from treating indigestion to blood pressure and cancer - . Consumption of this purple vegetable also known to produce pink urine. We'll see.



So far I have successfully turned Adrian's dislike of olives and eggplants to the better. Tonight, it's a "I-hope-you-like-beet root-although-I-knew-you-don't" night. I saw the look on his face and it's understood when he said, though with a smile, "Don't take it personally if I don't eat much".

"You will like this" Says the cook.

Verdict: The cook is always right.

I like the nutty, creamy flavor the toasted walnut added to the dip. Adrian likes how the orange and garlic hinder the beet root-ty taste. I actually like beet root as it is, but it feels good when he says "OK. You are right. I like this".

You can use the dip as sandwich spread, mix it into hummus for a gorgeous light pink colored dip, or simply serve as a platter with vegetable crudites, melba toast, loves, crackers and apple wedges.

I served it with strips of red and yellow capsicums, and toasted bread with spread of feta. I suspect cream cheese, tahini and yogurt would work just as well. I thought we were not going to finish the dip but I somehow discovered that the dip works as dressing for the Warm Spinach Goat Cheese Salad. They look pretty together =)


Ingredients:
makes about 1 1/2 cups

2-3 medium beets
3/4 scant cup walnuts
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp orange juice
salt, pepper
1/2 tsp orange zest

  1. Wash and dry the beets. Wrap them in foil,place in a baking dish and bake in a 200C oven for 1 hour or till the beets are fork tender. Let the beets cool a little and peel the skin.
  2. Toast walnuts in a pan over medium heat till they are light brown.
  3. Place the roasted beets, toasted walnuts and all other ingredients, except orange zest in a blender. Puree till smooth.
  4. Adjust vinegar, sugar, and salt to taste. Transfer the dip to a bowl and mix in orange zest. Serve chilled with pita bread and vegetable crudites.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy, beet root is such a versitile ingredent, my favorite is straight up, chilled & raw beet root juice or with a splash of carrot, celery or passion fruit juice.

    I used to make a killer beet root / vanilla vinaigrette for a snow fish dish at Bed Supperclub and it was most awesome in a beet root risotto with miso seared scallops recipe.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete