Monday, September 21, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal


I've been getting into flaxseed again. I fell out of it since I finished the last packet of golden flaxseeds that I brought back from KL. Then I found out they are for sale in Villa Market. Not only flaxseed but psyllium hull too. So now I'm back to adding both to my morning smoothie, fruit salad, cereals, fruit juice, salad.... in every which way I can sprinkle them on. A quick tip: if you feel like having a dessert or late night bite but don't want the guilt, add psyllium hull to fruit juice and let it sit. It will become a jelly of sort.

Let me get back to this recipe. The primary reason I'm making this for breakfast is because I wanted to get rid of the 1/4 pumpkin left from Pumpkin Risotto. Secondly, I'm getting bored of having the typical breakfast treat: pancake, muffin, scones, french toast... you know the drill. So I decided to make my own oatmeal, and add flaxseed to it. Flaxseed is obviously optional in this recipe. But it's so good for you there really isn't any reason not to include it.

Enough of flaxseed.

Not only is this absolutely delicious, and provides all sorts of great nutrients to begin the day, but it’s a snap to throw together. Seriously!

For instance, I mixed up all the ingredients and pop the ramekins in the oven, started to prepare omelet, added the nutty topping after 10 minutes, began cooking omelet and smoothie, finished everything in 7 minutes and there! A wonderfully-smelling kitchen and Voila! A simple, satisfying, and oh-so-delicious breakfast is served. :)

You may top it with a splash of milk and raisin. I had mine with mixed berries smoothie.

Ingredients:

(serves 2)

  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 Tbsp. whole flax seeds
  • 1 1/4 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. allspice
  • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (about 1/4 pumpkin)
  • 1/2 cup milk

Topping:

  • 2 Tbsp pecans, chopped
  • 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 175C. Grease 2 individual-sized ramekins. Set aside.
  2. Combine the first eight ingredients (oat through to salt) in a medium-sized bowl. Stir well.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, coconut oil, pumpkin, and milk. Whisk thoroughly. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oats, and stir until combined.
  4. Divide mixture evenly between 2 ramekins. Bake at 175 degrees for 10 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped pecans, coconut oil, and brown sugar. After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and divide topping mixture evenly between the ramekins. Bake an additional 7 minutes.
  6. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment