Friday, September 4, 2009

Corn Soup

I think I like corn a lot. The sweet and savory smell of steamed buttered corn always makes tme drool. Although I don't order corn soup from restaurant - I guess they are never as good - I do have a desire for it. It has taken me this long to make a corn soup because..... not sure. I thought Adrian didn't like corn?
Anyway I decided to give it a go. It seems like a good one to have with the leftover Savory Tomato Pesto Pie. The corn and carrot add to the sweetness, and the milk to the creaminess. This recipe uses boiled milk with corn cobs as broth - it boosts the flavor of the corn and tastes like you are eating fresh corn of the cob!



Ingredients:
(serves 2)
1 ears of corn
1 cup milk
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/2 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper
2 large sprigs of fresh thyme
sour cream, optional

1 Cut kernels form the cob, reserve cobs. Boil milk with cobs in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat and cover for 8 minutes.
2 While the cobs are cooking in milk, heat a bit of oil in a skillet and saute onion until soft. Stir in chopped carrot, kernels and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until vegetables are soft.
3 Add vegetables, water and thyme sprigs to the cob/milk saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Discard cobs and thyme sprigs.
4 Using a hand blender, blend mixture until smooth. Serve hot or cold with sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment