Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Blueberry Oatmeal Crumbs



I love crumbs. i love the crunchy texture that comes with every bite. I knew I have to make something now that the cheap local frozen blueberry are back in the shelf. I fell in love with this recipe the moment my eyes set on its picture.

I don't usually mix my platter. I prefer to eat my meal in a specific "order"- whatever that means. But not this morning. I have so much faith and expectation for this recipe I made exemption for this crumbs - again, whatever that means. And as Adrian was savoring the Vegetable Casserole, I pressured him to dip into the crumbs - a behavior that would normally make me frown. "OMG! It's so good it puts the casserole to shame by one point!" And henceforth he couldn't decide which one to go in his mouth first: the savory or the sweet? The cheesy vegetable or crunchy blueberry oatmeal?

Good thing I baked a big tray of it - we still get to keep some while I share the rest with my friends.
I'm pretty sure everyone approves :)

Ingredients:
For the Filling -
3 Cups frozen blueberry
1/2 brown sugar
1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (from 1 orange)
2 tablespoons corn flour
2 tablespoons water

For Crust and Topping -
2 1/2 rolled oat
1 1/4 all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
zest from 1 orange
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cubed
  1. In a saucepan, heat together orange juice, brown sugar and blueberry over medium heat to boiling; about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
  2. Mix together corn flour and water. Stir into the blueberry mixture and return to boiling. Stir until the mixture thicken. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, cover and keep in refrigeration for at least 1 hour. I kept it for overnight.
  3. Preheat the oven to 175C. Lightly grease a 8" square baking pan.
  4. In a large bowl, mix together oatmeal, flour, sugar, zest and salt. Add butter cubes, using fingers, mix ingredients together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  5. Layer 1/2 the crumbs to the bottom of the baking pan. Take the blueberry mixture from the refrigerator and pour it over the crust. Top the blueberry filling with the other 1/2 of crumbs. Pressing lightly to adhere.
  6. Bake at 175C for 45 minutes. Remove and cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment