Monday, September 21, 2009

Baked Pumpkin Puree


"Why buy when you can make it at home?"- this has been my motto since I took over the kitchen. I have been thinking of ways to get rid of the 1/4 pumpkin left in the fridge since Pumpkin Risotto. Another soup, or salad? What about something sweet? I once tried baking pumpkin pie but I forgot to add coconut milk. Took some of it to visit a friend at hospital. She and her husband had good words for it. I don't know.....

Anyway, instead of making another pie, I decided to make it a breakfast treat. But before that, I need to have pumpkin puree. Here goes:
  1. Cut pumpkin into halves, scoop out the seeds and stringy membrane.
  2. Cut pumpkin into large wedges and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes at 175C or until pumpkin is soft. Let cool.
  3. Scrape the soft pulp from the skin into a food processor. You may add some water or milk to ease processing. Pulse until evenly pureed.
Reheat if serving immediately or refrigerate and use within 3 days. The puree may be frozen in an airtight container or zip-top bag for 10 to 12 months.

Savory Pumpkin Puree: Add butter, salt, and pepper to taste to the pumpkin puree. Add brown sugar for a sweeter side dish. Makes a great menu substitution for mashed potatoes.

Pumpkin Pie Puree: add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and brown sugar, or pumpkin pie spice.


No comments:

Post a Comment