Thursday, May 21, 2009

Butternut Squash/ Pumpkin Apple Soup

Dishes made with fruits always fascinate me. Even salad. Must be the Asian Chinese gene in me. I've been wanting to make some vege+fruit soups ever since I saw the carrot orange soup on the menu of some sandwich place at Central World. And I came across a Butternut Squash Apple Soup on one of my favorite food sites. It took me a couple of week to finally gave the recipe a try. Not that it's hard. But it calls for CELERY.
There are a few foods that I disliked and grew to okay with because of their nutritious values such as olive and bitter gourd. Celery is one that I'm yet to overcome. It just tastes so much like bitter water. In order to convince myself for the Butternut Squash Apple Soup recipe, I researched on my Food Encyclopedia. I got to admit it's pretty cool. It is high in Vitamin C content and has been used in Chinese medicine to lower blood pressure (my grandmom would have approved). Among others, the coumarins in celery not only fight against free radicals but also targets and eliminates potentially harmful cells such as cancer cells. In addition, the acetylenics compound has been shown to stop growth of tumourous cells. Sounds good to me.
By the way, can anyone tell me why do they always sell garnishes such as chives, coriander, spring onions in bulk? Although they are cheap but how can I possibly finish all of them before they wilt? The celery I bought today came in one huge stalk (as pictured). All I need for this recipe is a rib or two. It's putting my creativity to test.
Did you know celery is supposed to go well with peanut butter? How bizarre. I should ask my Origami Yogini friend to try - she has no idea what to do with peanut butter. Japanese never cease to fascinate me....
.
Butternut Squash/ Pumpkin Apple Soup


I didn't use butternut squash. I used the extra golden pumpkin I bought for the Roasted Pumpkin with Arugula Salad. Besides, I have made many pumpkin soups and it's time to make a difference. This soup is very easy to prepare. The addition of tart green apple is meant to balance the sweetness of the butternut squash. It works just as good for pumpkin. You want the 3 portion of butternut squash to 1 portion of green apple. Make sure you taste and season before serving or it can be rather bland.

Ingredients:
(serve 4)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled, seed removed, cubed
1 tart green apple, peeled, core removed, chopped
3 Cups of vegetable broth (miso for me)
pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper
  • Sautee onion with celery and carrot. Add in butternut squash, apple and broth. Let simmer until the butternut squash is soft. Transfer to a blender and puree till smooth. Taste and adjust with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. I alread boughtthe peanut butter as Wolfy's recommendation.
    I should try . Let's see. :)
    If you find street stall selling vegetable, they sell small bulk. Some stall's are very fresh and cheep. I usually buy at Ari's cute girls stall. They have some vegetable, you can't see at super market. Or you can easy to buy at wet market, such as Oh-toh-kho next to Catchak. I heard Sam yan (there is MRT gate) is Chinese people's favorate.
    Origami-yogini

    ReplyDelete