Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cream of Celery Soup that makes me a convert

One thing about me is I like variety, especially food. In order to satisfy my own desire, I take the extra miles to cooking different things everytime. Remember the huge bunches of celery that I was ranting about? No doubt there's plenty of them left after the Butternut Squash Apple Soup. So what are you to do with those awful lot of celery? I decided to turn them all into soup. God forbidden, never in my life have I ever consider having celery soup. Until now.
I have to say I was absolutely surprised by how good the soup was. I stumbled upon the recipe while flipping through pages of outdated LA Times. One of the articles mentioned the hidden wonders of celery, and was nothing more than a pot of sauteed onion, chicken broth (of which I substituted with miso), cubed potato and a whole mess of diced celery. It doesn't sound like much, does it?

Cream of Celery Soup

When I strained the puree I was left with a pot of watery liquid and a strainer full of mush. What a waste, I thought. So I dumped the mush back to mix with the water liquid again - I always prefer thick soup anyway. I made the soup two days before and freeze it before adding cream. When I needed something little, I took it out and reheat, swirling a spoonful of cream in as it boiled. I added a swirl of cream to pretty-fie the soup. I found no need for salt and pepper - it was nicely seasoned from the miso broth already. If there's a celery dish that would change my taste, this is it. The result was a very light and delicately-flavored soup.

Ingredients:
(serve 4)
3 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onions, diced
1 potato , peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
10 stalks celery, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
5 cups chicken broth (miso worked fine)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 Tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
Celery leaves for garnish, chiffoned
  1. Melt butter in a soup pot. Add onions and cook until translucent.
  2. Add potatoes, celery and chicken (miso) broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to let it simmer until the potatoes and celery are very tender (about 20 minutes)
  3. Puree in a food processor or blender. Pass the soup through a medium sieve, pressing the solids with the back of a wooden spoon (I skipped the straining). Refrigerate or freeze if you are not serving it yet.
  4. When ready for serving, defroze and reheat. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper (no need in my case).
  5. Swirl in the cream if desired. Garnished with celery leaves.
Although I did enjoy the soup but it's till too much for two persons. No fret! I'm putting it in a Corn Casserole instead of using canned cream of celery soup. It got to be better with homemade, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment