Monday, May 18, 2009

Homemade Raspberry Jam

There are a few things I avoid spending money on. For instance yogurt and raspberry jam. Especially so for yogurt since it's a stable in my morning-musts. I'd usually buy a tub of natural yogurt and use it as starter to cultivate batches and batches of homemade yogurt. I'd use the same culture again and again until they change in consistency. Or, I run out of milk. When lady luck visits, I manage to save money from store bought yogurt for up to two weeks. I do question the money I spend on whole milk though.....

If you like raspberry jam, you should definitely make your own. Ever since I discovered the affordable local Thai frozen raspberry, I have since kissed goodbye to Waitrose's. I can make my own raspberry jam for less than half the price on shelf. Raspberry preserve is easy to make. Just have to make sure your jars are sterilized **.

Ingredients:
Frozen raspberry and sugar*

Heat raspberry in a sauce pan until bubbly. Add sugar and stirring constantly. Transfer to a sterilized jar and seal with wax. I don't have wax but keeping the sealed jar in refrigerator works just fine. Also, I use organic cane sugar, which gives the preserve a very vibrant red.

**Easy Sterilization
I have under the sink a whole bunch of plastic and glass containers for storage. In this case, it's a used glass jar from Smucker's.
Preheat the oven to 200C. Boil a pot of water. Bath the jar in the boiling water. It's pretty much like what I see many mothers do to sterilize baby stuffs like pacifier and cups.
Transfer jar to oven and let dry.

*The original recipe calls for equal proportion of each ingredients, i.e. 1 Cup of raspberry to 1 Cup of sugar. I however found that to be too sweet to my liking. I like to add sugar spoon by spoon, and tasting constantly. If you notice on the jam ingredient label, most brands list sugar as the first ingredient. That means sugar is the primary ingredient in the jam. You may find some that list the fruit first, but you have to be careful with what other ingredients they put in the preserve. They may have "cleverly" categorize the sweeteners into fructose, dextrose or corn syrup.




1 comment:

  1. Very very impressive babe! And how you included your experience with me in your description. :D

    Anyway how do you prepare your homemade yogurt? It'd be interesting to know since it's a must have for me every morning too!

    ReplyDelete