Sunday, May 31, 2009

Is Chocolate better than Sex?

I'm a chocolate addict and I'm not ashamed. Chocolate is one of the best things in the world! "Isn't chocolate fattening?" Well, how can any food be called "fattening"? Wake up! It's the amount consumed that determine whether it will contribute to body fat. In fact, most people can eat a small amount of extra foods as part of a healthy diet. Chocolate has its place in healthy eating.

Some one once told me women like chocolate because they are deprived of sex. I don't know about that. However, it's true that chocolate stimulates the release of natural opiate (endorphin) in the brain to reduce pain and enhance one's mood and sense of pleasure.

As a sensually pleasing vehicle, chocolate contains flavonoids just like many fruits and medicinal plants. in contrary to what many believe, eating chocolate does not elevate blood cholesterol level. In fact, it actually helps to inhibit the absorption of dietary cholesterol and protect against damage to cholesterol and the lining of arteries. The flavonoids in chocolate also prevent the clumping together of blood platelets that can cause blood clots. Therefore, consuming chocolate can regulate blood flow, inflammation and blood pressure.

So what are you waiting for?


Mulled Hot Chocolate


It's amazing how difficult it is to get a decent hot chocolate. When I was in Zurich, I thought "man, I'm gonna be bathing in hot chocolate!" I was dreadfully disappointed. How bizarre that the famous land of chocolate doesn't have good hot chocolate. Are they THAT difficult to make or are they just not as popular as coffee? I can name the very few places where I had good hot chocolate: a posh street side cafe in Prague that serves a very thick, almost mousse-like hot chocolate, and (surprise, surprise!) an unassuming local cafe in Ranong, Thailand! I'm not kidding. Adrian and I went there everyday when we were in Ranong. What a magical little town, by the way. Oh! And also the spicy frozen hot chocolate at the fancy chocolate specialty in New York. It's so rich that I got a sort of high drinking it.

Now that I made my first hot chocolate I shall forever despise the restaurant/ cafe hot chocolate.


Ingredients:
(6 servings)

  • 6 Cups Soy Milk (I used whole milk)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon Nutmeg
  • 3 Ounces Semisweet Chocolate
  • 1/2 Cup pure Cocoa
  • 1/2 Cup natural cane sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Boiling Water
  • 2 T Vanilla Extract
  • Whipped Cream
  1. In a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and chocolate. Stir continually, until chocolate melts.
  2. In a large saucepan, combine cocoa, sugar and boiling water. Stirring until a thick paste is created. Whisk in milk. stir over medium until well blended and hot. Stir in vanilla extract.
  3. Serve in mugs, topped with fresh whipped cream (which I forgot)

No comments:

Post a Comment