Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fresh Fruit Mascarpone Pavlova


I left a message on Adrian's Facebook that said "Pavlova". He asked WHO was Pavlova - the only Pavlova he could think of was the train station in Prague. Funny. Given his intelligence I thought he would have it figured: I was making Pavlova at that time. Then I thought maybe he didn't know about Pavlova - the meringue based dessert that hails from either Australia or New Zealand. It was so named in dedication to an ethereal Russian ballerina whom was touring the region back in 1920s. If she were anything like the dessert indicates, she must be light, airy and sweet.


I have been actively looking for more meringue recipe since my last. When I chanced upon this Pavlova recipe that uses homemade mascarpone, I was hooked instantly. Despite my paranoia and the many attempts to check on the meringue as it was baking, it turned out just fine: firm on the outside, crunchy to the bite. I loved having macadamia nuts in it - it's more complex and imparted to it a palatable fat nutty taste.


It's when I make dessert like this that I tell myself I shall have desserts from home only. Most of the desserts out there are either too sweet or I don't trust the ingredients. Not to mention many of them make me dizzy, and give a funny feeling to my stomach.

Homemade Mascarpone


In Passionate About Baking, the writer uses low fat cream. I'm a proponent of the least processed possible, I welcome food in its most complete. The writer mentioned heating the cream to 82C before adding lemon juice.
  • 1 Liter fresh whipping cream
  • 2 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  1. Bring to gentle boil over a waterbath. Stir in lemon juice and reduce heat to medium low. Keep it at that for a few more minutes.
  2. Remove from heat, cover and let sit at room temperature until it is cooled. Refrigerate overnight. It will thickened further the next day.
  3. Pour it in a strainer lined with cheesecloth. Let the whey drain in refrigerator for 24 hours.
Meringue


Sugar is a crucial part of meringue. Besides adding them spoon by spoon to aid easy dissolution, the finer they are, the faster they dissolve, the better to avoid moisture. I figured if powdered sugar is just superfine form of regular sugar, why not blend them? And I did.

(make 2 servings)
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/4 cup powdered natural cane sugar
  • 1/3 teaspoon corn flour, sifted
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  • macadamia nuts and cinnamon powder (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 120C.
  2. Beat egg white, at low speed, until it's bubbly. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar, increase the speed to medium high and beat to form soft peaks. Continue to add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed, to form stiff peaks.
  3. Fold in corn flour and lemon juice. Beat for another 2 minutes or so to combine.
  4. Stir in macadamia nuts and cinnamon powder if using.
  5. Line the baking tray with baking paper. Separate the batter into two mounds. Use the back of a spoon to make a well in the center of each mounds.
  6. Let bake in the oven for 60 minutes.
Filling

  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 2 teaspoon powdered natural cane sugar
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons homemade mascarpone
  • A couple pieces of 85% chocolate
  • Fresh fruits: grapes, pomegranates, blueberries, etc.
  1. Melt chocolate over a waterbath. May add maple syrup if necessary. Let cool slightly.
  2. Whip cream with sugar till firm. Fold mascarpone in to mix. Be gentle and mindful not to lose volume.
  3. Paint the base of Pavlova well with melter chocolate. Fill up with mascarpone mix. Top with fresh fruits to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment