Monday, March 29, 2010

Beet Hash Browns


Ingredients:
  • 2 small sweet potato, shredded
  • 2 small raw beetroot, peeled and shredded
  • 1/2 small red onion, minced
  • Tarragon and rosemary, leaves only
  • salt and pepper
This is incredibly easy to put together and make. I used sweet potatoes for this hash brown but you can use potatoes if you prefer to. I started with washing and peeling two smallish beetroots. I dislike peeling but beetroot skins were surprisingly easy to work with. Normally I don't peel the potatoes, do so if you may. Having a grater is a blessing to get these root vegetables into shape.


I then piled the beetroot and sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl, topping them with tarragon and rosemary leaves, minced onions and quite generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Then I worked my fingers in to toss and massage these fellas.


The frying part was uncertain because I wasn't sure if they were going to stick together in one whole piece. Some pressing and fiddling with the back of a turner helped. You can fry everything in one pan making them into a flat cake, or divide the mixture into two flat cakes, as I did. Cook one side over medium heat until the bottom is browned. Spread more butter or oil over the top of the cake and then flip the cake to brown the other side. Serve is as a side with some sunny-side up, Mango Salsa and sour cream.


With no surprise, Adrian dug into the Mango Salsa and Sunny-side up, first. He liked the Mango Salsa, no surprise there. He then cautiously moved on to the Beet Hash Brown. "HUH! This is good. I don't know about beets in general but I like this one." BINGO! After a while he burst out laughing and commented how typical it was of me to make things he disliked and make it my mission to change his perception. "That's so you". In my defense, I just like making good healthy yummy foods for my lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment