Friday, March 19, 2010

Molten Chocolate Cake


This is the second time I made the same mistake with this dessert. I meant to bake a chocolate dessert with a warm melty chocolate center. I think I might have used the same recipe both times, too. And Adrian thought I have good memory.


Mistake aside, I was very proud and happy with this dessert. It rose up pretty nicely and slid out of the ramekin easily. Most importantly, I managed to dress it up looking restaurant pro! I hardly ever go for ice cream for my aversion for cold stuffs - until I saw my friend, Pinnada's, crepe post on Facebook. I just had to get Adrian to buy a tub of vanilla ice cream for this.

Ingredients:
(make two 3/4 cups)
  • 56 gram unsalted butter, chopped
  • 80 gram 85% dark chocolate, break into pieces
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 small eggs, separated
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Butter two ramekin and sprinkle the sides with powdered sugar (just blend and process the normal sugar!).
  3. Melt chocolate and butter in a hot waterbath.
  4. Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick, pale and fluffy. Stir in vanilla to blend. Fold in melted chocolate.
  5. Beat egg whites on low till foamy. Add lemon juice and beat to soft peaks. Add sugar and beat to firm peaks.
  6. Using a spatula, gently fold egg white mixture over chocolate mixture, until just incorporated.
  7. Divide batter into two, filling 3/4 of each ramekin. Bake at 200C for 10 - 15 minutes. The top edges will set but the center still jiggly and wet.
  8. Remove immediately. Let rest for a minute or two. Invert into serving plate. Serve with vanilla ice cream, fresh fruits and mint leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment