Sunday, March 28, 2010

Roasted Beet Molten Chocolate Cake


I finally found a molten chocolate cake recipe with gooey center. I first did it one week ago, while George was visiting. Unfortunately I didn't manage to turn it out from the ramekin. I told George "I vouched to keep making this until I get it right". Tonight, again, I revisited the same recipe. With a twist - I added roasted beet puree to the batter.

Pinnada gave me a big bag full of beet roots the other day. I love beet roots. Its sweetness is good raw, steamed, roasted, in any which way. Beetroot is one of those that has been long used for medicinal purposes, especially priced in its stimulating effects on liver detoxification process. It's crimson-purple color, brought about by the pigment betacyanin, is reported to be a powerful cancer fighting agent. Beetroot fiber also helps to promote healthy bowel function and cholesterol level. Its betacyanin and fiber are known to be responsible for its role in preventing colon cancer. Many health advisers recommend consumption of beet juice to increase level of antioxidant enzymes and number of special white blood cells. This has been shown to successfully inhibit nitrosamine (a cancer causing compound) in patients with stomach cancer.


Despite its captivating crimson-purple color and medicinal properties, Adrian is no fan of beet. When he saw me fiddling with the beets this morning, this were his words, "you know my feeling about beets? Don't be offended." He must have forgotten how much he enjoyed the Beetroot Hummus. Anyway, I didn't think he had the slightest idea where these beets were going. I digress.


I successfully inverted the pudding, intact, on to serving plate. That was exciting. It's even more so when I found the center was gooey with melted chocolate. When I brought it to Adrian, I could tell by the look on his face that he was searching for the beets. He took a bite of it, "Mmmm... yum.". A while later, "this is very good. I like the sauce. But where is the beets?" I believed they were being digested in his stomach as he continued his search. What a great way to serve beets to non-believers.



Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 Tablespoons natural cane sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 50 gram 78% bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon roasted beet puree (recipe to follow)
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • small pinch of salt
  • Citrus Reduction (Recipe to follow) (option)
  • Strawberry and kiwi to serve (option)
  • Vanilla ice cream to serve (option)
Roasted Beet Puree


Wrap beets, with one inch of their stems attached, with aluminum foil and bake at 200C for 60 minutes, until the are fork-tender. Blend to a smooth paste. You may strain away the clumps if necessary.

Citrus Reduction
  • 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon natural cane sugar
Pour ingredients to a saucepan and let it simmer to half of its volume. Chill before use.

Chocolate Cake
  1. Preheat oven at 200C. Grease two 4oz ramekins with butter and coat the sides with sugar.
  2. Melt butter and chocolate over a water-bath.
  3. Beat egg and egg yolk with sugar. Fold in melted chocolate and stir to combine.
  4. Stir in beet puree, flour and salt to mix.
  5. Divide batter into two and spoon over prepared ramekins. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
  6. Remove immediately and let it cool for 10 minutes before inverting to individual plates. Serve with fresh fruits, ice cream and citrus reduction.

1 comment: