Friday, March 19, 2010

Potato Pizza



There has been rumor of unrest due to the recent political turmoil in Thailand. Among some of the many "advises" we heard was to stock up on foods. Regardless of the basis of the "advise" we did so to complete our kitchen needs anyway. I told Adrian he could pick anything he liked. I wasn't surprised when he put bitter gourd into the basket. For whatever reason I took okra - probably thinking of remaking the Ethiopian dish. Anyway as the demonstration and blood splash (literally) went on in Bangkok city, I didn't get to use this two ingredients that I rarely buy.

Until last Monday night. I boiled a large potato to make the aforementioned Ethiopian dish with okra for Adrian. Delicious aside, I was left with a big bowl of unused boiled cubed potatoes. Finally I thought I would use it tonight. After much contemplation, I decided to use it as pizza crust and combine it with this recipe so that I could use up the leftover roasted bell peppers, too.

It turned out to be a much welcome idea. Adrian thinks this would be really good for a warm hearty breakfast, topped with fried eggs. I thought so but given what I have planned for tomorrow breakfast, this dish would come too heavy, even for us breakfast people.


Ingredients
(makes one 9" pizza)

Potato crust:

  • 1 large potato, cubed
  • pinch of sea salt
  • chillies flakes
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • pure sesame oil
  1. Boil potato cubes with a generous pinch of salt till tender. Remove from water and get rid of excess water.
  2. Transfer potato cubes to a bowl. Mash them with salt, and chillies flakes. Stir in flour to blend.
  3. Press mashed potatoes to the bottom of baking pan. Bake at 250C for 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven, brush the top with pure sesame oil. Bake for another 10 minutes.
  5. Bring the pan to top deck and broil for 3 - 4 minutes, until the crust is crisp.
Topping and assembly:


It's basically the same as this Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper Pizza recipe. Instead of roasted tomatoes, I mashed the roasted garlic with sun-dried tomatoes. I also added chillies flakes (blended dried chillies) alongside parsley and basil.


No comments:

Post a Comment