Friday, February 19, 2010

Chocolate Meringue Cake



When I came back from Chiang Mai, I got nothing but an extra 1 kilogram of raw macadamia nuts. I got it from a health food store called Kasem in Nimmanhaemin. It was only 900THB, almost half the price of what I get here in Bangkok. How can I not buy them? They were also selling two kilograms of walnuts for only 580THB! Curse the two ladies who walked away with two huge bags full of them!

Anyway I have been wanting to do something with the macadamia nuts since. There was this meringue that I loved but didn't blog. I felt I owed it a post - something in me was urging to remake the meringue (gluttonous, perhaps?)



This was a real test to my patience. Firstly, there was some itsy bitsy bits of egg yolk in the egg white that I turned a blind eye to. BIG MISTAKE: it didn't even get into the soft peak stage of whisking. I spent 30 minutes holding the hand-held blender for nothing. Secondly, for whatever stupid reason, I put the meringue straight into the refrigerator right after baking - it shrunk, and became chewy. I threw it away. Sigh......

I was not one to give up easily though. I set out to making it again the next day. I was so paranoid - but it was probably good to be. It finally turned out right. Phew...... I'm glad I did it because it's so delicious! Not just the meringue cake but the strawberry too! I always complain about the local strawberry but this, coming from Royal Thai Project, was as good as the Korean. They are of the right tenderness and sweet tartness. Top grade! AND same price as the other local brand. Why are they not selling this all the time?



Before you set out to making the meringue, take a moment to read this BIGGEST MERINGUE MISTAKES. Good luck.

Chocolate cake layer:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • 114 gram unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
  • 1 cup natural cane sugar
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  1. Preheat oven to 160C. Lightly grease two 8" cake pan and set them aside.
  2. In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Add egg yolks, one at a time, follow with pure vanilla extract.
  4. Using a spatula, alternately add flour and milk in a few addition, beginning and ending with flour. Divide the batter equally to the two prepared pans. Set aside.
Meringue layer:
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2/3 cup organic white sugar
  • Macadamia nuts (optional)
  1. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add lemon juice and continue to beat until soft peak forms..
  2. Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peak forms. Fold in macadamia nuts.
  3. Divide into two and place on top of the chocolate cake layer in each pans.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
  5. Let it cool in the oven for at least 1 hour before removing to room temperature. Remove from pan once completely cool.
Almond Cream Filling:
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1 Tablespoon organic white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup almond meal
  • 70 gram 90% dark chocolate, grated
  1. Mix together cream, sugar, cinnamon powder and vanilla extract. Let it chill, together with beater, for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in almond meal and chocolate.
Assembling the cake:
Place one of the cake layers, meringue side down, on a serving plate. Spread with almond cream. Gently place the second cake layer, cake side down, onto the almond cream. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Place in refrigerator until serving time.



No comments:

Post a Comment