Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Spinach and Goat Cheese Pizza with Garlic Oil



When I was in Chiang Mai, Adrian sent me a SMS from London that says "just had the BEST pizza! "Padana Pizza": spinach, goat cheese, red onion, caramelized onion and garlic oil!" It was from Pizza Express. I managed to find a few online pizza recipes that use spinach and goat cheese as ingredients. I then googled for homemade garlic oil and Voila!

You may want to start from here for your own homemade dough. I was short of all-purpose flour and hence substituted half the flour with organic rye flour.



I started with making caramelized onions, using the recipe from a previous post. The onions reduce in size considerably when cooked. Adjust amount needed to approximately one onion per person. Use white or yellow onions instead of red. I substituted lemon juice with apple cider vinegar; it worked fine. I was skeptical of it at first thinking it looked too dark and soft, but Adrian said it taste just like the restaurant's. :)



As the onions were being cooked, I set out to making garlic oil. I took one head of peeled garlic and 1/2 cup of olive oil to simmer over medium low heat. The garlic turned brown as it cooked in the hot oil. This took about 15 - 20 minutes.

Now here's to assemble the pizza:
  • Spinach leaves, tossed and coated with olive oil
  • 4 ounces goat cheese, grated
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • Caramelized onion
  • Garlic oil
  1. Preheat oven to 250C.
  2. Go here for pizza crust.
  3. Brush the base with enough olive oil and sprinkle generously with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake the crust for 10 - 15 minutes.
  4. Remove baked crust and turn the oven down to 180C. Layer the crust with olive oil-coated spinach leaves, follow with goat cheese and red onions. Drizzle with garlic oil. Let bake until cheese melt.
  5. Drizzle with more garlic oil and serve with more fried garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment