Thursday, August 27, 2009

Homemade Nutella

I assume no one needs introduction to Nutella. If you haven't heard of this hazelnut chocolate spread, I feel very sorry for you; you must have been deprived. The only thing you should do now is make one NOW! Seriously.

Nutella is one of those unhealthy "foods" that I shouldn't have but can't resist. I am obsessed with label reading but I tried to avoid Nutella's. But the truth remains. How unhealthy you ask? Well, let's take a look at it's ingredient list:

"sugar, modified palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, reduced mineral whey (from milk), soy lecithin: a emulsifier, vanilin: an artificial flavor"

Food label reading 101: ingredient with the highest percentage comes top of the list. Everytime I get just a little too greedy for just that much little more of Nutella, I get a buzz (literally) up in my head - Too much sugar. Not to mention the use of "reduced",
"modified", and "artificial".

I make my own tahini, fruit jam and yogurt, why not Nutella? And so I did. It's so easy and involves so little ingredients and steps that it would seem silly not to give it a try. Besides, I tried it on a toast this morning and compared it with the commercial Nutella: I think I have successfully killed my desire for Nutella; it taste artificial in comparison.



Ingredie
nts:
1/2 cup hazelnuts
2 tablespoon coca powder
3 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

  1. Roast hazelnuts at 200C for 10 minutes. Let cool and rub the skins off the nuts.
  2. Grind hazelnuts in food processor to a butter consistency. Add the rest of the ingredient and continue to process till smooth.
  3. Store in a jar and ENJOY!
That's all it takes for your very own healthy homemade Nutella. Depending on the capacity of your food processor, you may have to separate and grind in a few batches, as I did.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had Nutella. Not even a little taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love Nutella! Remember dad used to buy us little tubs of it when we were spoiled-rotten-kids?

    In Australia, Nutella is advertised as being part of a balanced breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about that from somewhere. How ridiculous and blatantly ruthless the advertisers are!

    ReplyDelete