Thursday, August 27, 2009

Maple-Grilled Salmon


It's been two months since I had any fish. Although I don't crave for it but I thought I would cook fish as my "return to kitchen" signature.

The method calls for grilling, which I don't have. If you do, good for you. Otherwise, do as I did:
  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Lightly oil baking sheet and place fillet skin side down. Put baking sheet to second top rack and let broil until the fish flake easily.
  3. Remove from the oven and place on a hot skillet. Brush the fish with marinade and cook until it becomes a syrupy glaze.
I was going to garnish the salmon with orange slices but I can't find fresh oranges in the store and had to resort to fresh orange juice instead. What a bummer. It would have been pretty.

Ingredients:
(yields 2 servings)
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • 2 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  1. Pour the first three ingredients into a large zip-lock bag. Add fish. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
  2. Preheat oven to 200C.

  3. Remove fish from bag, reserving the marinade. Pour marinade into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons (about 5 minutes).

  4. Lightly oil the surface of a grill and place fish on top with the skin side down. Grill until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, basting occasionally with marinade. Remove fish from the grill; sprinkle with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment