Sunday, August 30, 2009

Spicy Broccoli Mango Salad


I wish I have better description for this salad: It's a perfect blend of smooth and sweet from the dressing and mangoes, crunch from the broccoli and a little heat from the sweet-hot pecans.
When I saw the fresh peaches, I simply couldn't resist its succulence. I figured given the similar texture and sweet-tartness, peaches should work just as good as mangoes would in this salad. I'm glad I was right.


I also sprinkled the salad with more ground red pepper just to spice things up.
Adrian and I give this dish a two-thumb up :) Try it with the Tofu Steak!

Ingredients:
(serves 3 cups)

SWEET-HOT PECANS:
2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup pecan, coarsely chopped
DRESSING:
6oz natural passion fruit yogurt
1/6 cup mayonnaise
1/1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
SALAD:
2 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets and cut up stems
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped.
  1. Lightly oil a skillet. Add sugar and red pepper; mix well. Stir in pecans. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar mixture is melted and pecans are coated. Remove from heat; set aside on a plate to cool.
  2. In a small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients with a wire whisk until smooth.
  3. In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
  4. Add dressing to salad; toss gently to mix. Store in the refrigerator and sprinkle in hot pecan just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment