Thursday, September 9, 2010

Roasted Pumpkin Lasagna with Butter Beans


Piping hot and bubbly out from the oven, it looks "alive".


This recipe uses two ingredients that I don't normally cook with: 1. carrot - I'm ok with carrot, I just don't give much thought about cooking or eating them; 2. celery - I'm better with celery now than when I was a kid. There's this other issue with celery: they come in big packages - I don't want to be thinking what to cook with celery for 7 consecutive meals. So it's not hard to see this is a combination that I'd usually avoid. It's probably the frozen cooked butter beans that called me to this recipe, which ironically plays no part in the original recipe.


I kind of messed up the part with the roasted pumpkin and cooked butter beans. The original instruction is "Clear a spot in the bottom of the pan and add the chopped roasted butternut squash and about 1/4 of the beans with their liquid. Mash the two together with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, and then add the rest of the beans to the pot." I didn't de-froze the beans fast enough (I forgot we now have a microwave). I also think butter beans are not as easily mashed as canned cannelini beans. Therefore, after some considerable futile attempts, the butter beans remained mostly "unharmed" and intact in my recipe.

The lasagna noodle recipes that I found online seem pretty strict forward. I'm not a pasta person or I wouldn't mind investing in one of those pasta maker and make my own noodles.


I'm glad I didn't reduce the recipe and made what's enough for 6 persons. Adrian did have a little comment "look like we'll be having lasagna for a few more dinners." When I said we could give it away, he looked surprised "give it away? WHY?" Yes, the lasagna is G.O.O.D.

For the filling:
  • 1/2 a large pumpkin, roasted with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Mashed.
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
  • small bunch of fresh oregano, leaves picked and chopped
  • 2 big handful of cooked butter beans
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • salt and pepper
  1. Saute onions with salt. Add celery and carrots. Stir to coat. Cover and let cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in thyme and oregano. Stir to coat. Cover and let cook for another 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in garlic and fry till fragrant.
  4. Add cooked butter beans and mashed roasted pumpkin.
  5. Deglaze with white vinegar. Add some water to thin it out if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.

For the béchamel:

  • 5 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 cups milk, heated
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
  1. Melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Continue to whisk until the mixture turns golden brown (about 6 - 7 minutes).
  2. Add heated milk, one cup at a time, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth.
  3. Bring it to boil and cook for another 30 seconds. Season with salt and nutmeg.
To assemble:
  • filling
  • bechamel sauce (set aside 1 cup for topping)
  • 4 oz. of mozzarella cheese
  • 3 oz. of ricotta cheese
  • Lasagna noodles
  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 10cm x 20cm Pyrex baking dish with butter. Mix together mozzarella and ricotta. Set aside 1/4 cup.
  2. Layer from the bottom in this order: bechamel, lasagna sheet, filling, and cheese. Repeat as many times as necessary. End with 1 cup of bechamel sauce and sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup of cheese.
  3. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment