Thursday, September 9, 2010

Grilled Corn Soup


I know I have made a corn soup somewhere somehow sometime before this. I wanted to use this recipe because I was intrigued by the promise of basil-infused oil - Love it! The original recipe uses cream and stock, which I didn't It also recommends to strain out the solids from the liquid, which I skipped - I like my soup thick and chunky.


If you are using fresh corn like I did, start with cooking the corn over salted boiling water for about 3 - 5 minutes. Once cooked, remove and put it to grill. I just discovered I can grill certain foods using Teflon pan! Eureka!! Let it cool before you attempt to remove the kernels. You'll need to reserve the cobs for use in the soup.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 small potato, cubed
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cooked cob of corn, kernels removed
  • one generous pinch of sea salt
  • Corn kernels
  • dash of paprika
  • pinch of ground cayenne pepper
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  1. Saute onions with a generous pinch of salt.
  2. Stir in potato cubes to coat. Add milk, and stripped corn cob. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Add kernels, paprika, cayenne and black pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust with salt.
  4. Process into puree, and serve with basil-infused oil.

Basil-infused Oil

  • 2 TB Olive oil
  • a handful of fresh basil leaves
Bring olive oil to heat (not boiling) over medium heat. Remove from heat and throw in basil leaves. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Swirl oil over soup to serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment