Saturday, September 4, 2010

Another Long Absence

It's been 3 months since I posted anything on this blog. We had a great time spending summer in West Coast of US. It was an educational and eye-opening trip - the best trip I've had so far. We first spent two weeks in San Diego, going in and out of Generative Trance for two weeks at Stephen Gilligan's Trance Camp at Rancho Bernardo. It was followed by a road trip up along Highway 1 to Seattle. We were totally in awe with the beauty of the coast, and how diverse it gets from town to town just within California. I also got pulled over by the highway patrol because I was driving "on" the solid white line. I thought of asking for a photo session but was too intimidated by the uniform.


Things just got better when we got to Seattle. Adrian's brother, Ian, rented a propeller plane from the club that he's a member of and flew us from Washington to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada and Oregon. It was incredible to see the landscape changes. America is truly a beauty.



We then flew to St Tropez, France, to teach Yoga to a Russian family whom we have come to befriend over the last couple of years. Not only were we treated to their private chef, but also given a Mercedes cabriolet to drive around in. We were blessed to get a taste of the life of rich and famous without the means.

Since then, apart from a couple of group classes at the studio, I have been busy giving private Yoga lessons everyday. I still cook although most of the times it was either old trick or nothing worth blogging about. Also, there came the laziness, again. Looking back, it seems to have taken on a trend of lazy-no-blog whenever I come back from travel. Today I decided to break into that blogging cycle again, before I travel, again, to KL next week. Guess how long it's going to take me to start blogging again?

Here's a few recipes that I did over the last couple weeks that were the least boring.

A friend brought us fresh roasted cocoa beans from Bali. I immediately tried it on a no-bake fudge recipe that I had my eyes on before.


Life is good now that I have a food processor. Thanks to Sandy and Nicolas, who kindly left it to me before they moved out of Bangkok for good.


Made of three kinds of nuts and two seeds, this fudge lacks the sinful pleasure from conventional ones. It makes you feel good about eating it though.


Cheddar polenta with homemade roasted bell pepper sauce. Topped with fresh herbs and parmesan to bake. Served on a bed of honey-vinaigrette rocket leaves and roasted tomatoes.


I made this because of the promise of roasted garlic. One whole head of it in one dish for two persons. Simply fry them with cherry tomatoes and long beans. I'm not crazy about this recipe but I do love the roasted garlic.


A one-bowl dish with pesto quinoa + amanath seeds, corn, roasted tomatoes, mushrooms and grilled tofu.


What was life like before food processor?


Vegetarian burger made with grilled tofu, mushrooms, cashew nuts, sunflower seeds, and Camembert. Instead of using buns, we had it with potato rosti. GOOD!


Chickpea and avocado salad, with some fresh blueberry thrown in on last thought.


I always wished I had cooked more caramelized onions than I did.


On a random night when I just felt like getting my hand dirty and bake. Parmesan biscuit topped and baked with white sesame seeds. We had it with French sea salt butter (something we were introduced to and quickly became devoted to while in St Tropez) and honey.


The walnut crust was made of teff flour bought from a Ethiopian store in Seattle. Filled with cream cheese and mascarpone, topped with fresh strawberry and thawed frozen blackberry (wish we were still indulging in wild summer berries in US). Adrian said he used to think this dessert was only possible bought (I'm pretty sure I made something like this before), and that he could eat this for breakfast everyday (I made just enough for two so that I could proceed to the next dessert the next day).


It may not look like much and you may wonder about the strawberries. It's called Balsamic Strawberry Chocolate Fudge. Intriguing?

I happened to browse through some of the old food pictures when I was working on this post. I was immediately taken over by an indescribable sense of awe. It took me a few seconds to recover and wonder aloud "why did I stop?!?!?" I need better discipline to stay on track. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment