Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lemony Ricotta Pancake with Balsamic Fig Jam


I used to do all the cooking by myself. Sometimes I thought it would be nice if Adrian could help me instead of just sitting in front of the computer, then I rationalized I wouldn't have liked it because I would be very bossy about how things should be done - MY WAY -. Ever since he cooked for my birthday, he found new meaning in cooking: there's something satisfying about making your own foods that he enjoys. It, too, surprises me how much I enjoy having my husband, with me, in the kitchen. I am working to suppress my bossiness and express my dominating nature in the least oblivious way possible. It has worked for two months so far.

This was another lazy morning. We woke up rehearsing the languages that we each learning: he spoke to me in Mandarin, I replied in Japanese. It's one of the exercises we vouched to keep in order to develop our brain map. Adrian's Mandarin lesson has covered the verbs for "eat" and "drink", plus a bonus "hungry" from me, and that took us from bed to kitchen.

We had a bit of ricotta left from yesterday's French toast, and there's a jar of self-raising Farina flour that came from a absentminded mistake while I was making pizza dough: it's Farina flour with baking powder and salt. So I decided to make do with the two ingredients: Ricotta Pancake.


I can tell I'm becoming more intuitive with my cooking: I don't have to be looking at recipe as much as I used to; I'm able to concoct dishes based on what I cooked before. This Balsamic Fig Jam, for instance, is a spin-off of Balsamic reduction that I have tried a few times with different fruits and really like.

The jam turned out to be extraordinary, - not your ordinary pancake jam - especially so with sour cream. The pancake too was excellent. I was going to announce the best pancake I've made but Adrian said he got instant ecstasy from the sourdough pancake. It's a close call. This pancake was soft and fluffy while the sourdough pancake was tangy and had a cake-like texture. If I may give them attributes: this one was happy and bouncy; the sourdough pancake was mature and acquired. I found myself nodding my head to a symphony of happy tunes in my head with the fluffy Ricotta pancake.

Note: There was only 1/2 cup ricotta left and so I made up the 1 cup volume with sour cream. Adrian thought fresh strawberries would go very well with the fig jam; you can use other berries or non at all.

Ingredients:(makes two 8" pancakes)

Balsamic Fig Jam:
  • Dried figs, chopped
  • natural brown sugar
  • balsamic vinegar
  • ground black pepper
  • fresh lemon juice
  • sea salt to taste
  1. In a saucepan, heat and cook dried figs with just enough boiling water until soft and thick.
  2. Start adding sugar and balsamic vinegar, one tablespoon at a time, to desired taste.
  3. Add a generous pinch of black pepper.
  4. Adjust taste with lemon juice and salt. More balsamic or sugar if needed.
  5. Set aside or chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Dry Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup Farina flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 TB natural brown sugar
  • Zest of one lemon
Wet Ingredients:
Optional:
  • Fresh strawberries, sliced
  • Sour cream to serve
  1. Combine all the dry ingredients, except lemon zest, in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
  2. Whisk together wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
  3. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture. Add lemon zest and strawberries.
  4. Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat. Drop half the batter into the pan. Cook until the bottom is set and the top begins to form bubbles.
  5. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes or until it's nicely browned.
  6. Repeat with the other half batter.
  7. Serve with Balsamic fig jam and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment