Friday, January 8, 2010

Ethiopian-Style Bitter Gourd


It was meant to be Bamya Alich'a or Ethiopian-style Okra. I used bitter gourd because that's Adrian's favorite. He has been asking me to make some bitter gourd dish for awhile now. Especially after having tasted a Malay bitter gourd dish during our Chinese New Year visit back to KL in 2008. "Please find out how to make it". That's the only request he demanded again and again after having fallen into death ears, again and again.


I hated bitter gourd since young. I remember how my grandmother would trick me into eating them by describing the taste as "gan" instead of "ku" (bitter). It didn't agree with my immature taste bud then. Although I can handle it better now, it's still not something I'd gladly make. Except for Adrian. That's love.

I didn't grasp the extend of his thirst for bitter gourd until he told me that he skipped lunch because he was eager to try this dish. I didn't think (or know) this dish was good. Adrian affirmed me that it was. Still, I have doubt. Just my bias.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup bitter gourd, cut into 1/2" coins
  • 2 TB pure sesame oil
  • 1/2 red onions, minced
  • a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 jalapenos, seeded and minced
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil. Saute onions with a generous pinch of sea salt until light brown.
  2. Add tomatoes and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat. Stir in garlic, ginger, and cardamon. Add bitter gourd and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
  3. Add chiles and cook another 5 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment