Saturday, December 19, 2009

Monster Cookies


Last night we went over to Sandra and Nico's new house in Ari for a housewarming-cum-Christmas party. The party was aptly themed "Bring your own food". How convenient. There's also the gift exchange, which was a real challenge for me. For days I was harassing friends for ideas. Some of the suggestions I got included: toiletries, photo frame, towel.... non of which was very inspiring. Most importantly, non of which was gift I personally want to receive.

Eventually in the morning of our big night, Nuk showed me the picture of her gift through Yahoo Messenger: two baskets of large eggs. Let me re-frame that: two baskets of large eggs with double yolks. Go figure. Anyway I guessed it's not illegal to bring food item. So I decided instead of buying a hamper, why not bake some cookies? I did a pretty good job with my first batch of cookies for Yim's birthday. I think.

After some reading, I got the idea that cookies basically come from the same batter. You can add whatever you want for that extra personal touch. I found this recipe recipe for kids that uses multi-colored MnM's chocolate candy. I made some changes to suit the adult taste: dark chocolate in the peanut butter cookies for half the guilty sugar rush; and pecan nuts and Mars bar niblet to make up for the lack of sugar rush in the aforementioned recipe. Redundant. I know.

These recipes make 3 dozens cookies each. I baked a dozen each because the box can't fit more than that. Lame. I know. But hey! Look I put a ribbon over the box!



Adrian and I were leaving early and we got to pick our gifts before everyone else. I got a Calvin and Hobbe's from Sandra. MY FAVORITE! This is probably one of the best "lucky draw" gifts I've ever get. Adrian got a Starbuck's card from Gate. What else can a coffee addict ask for? Sandra later text me and said that whoever got my cookies shared them with everyone: "it was a hit!"

Ingredients:
(make 2 dozens)


For the Peanut Butter cookies:
  • 1/4 cup butter, soften at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup organic creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup unrefined white sugar
  • 1/4 cup natural brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup unprocessed all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • sea salt
For the Mars Bar Cookies:
  • 1/2 cup butter, soften at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup unrefined white sugar
  • 1/4 cup natural brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup unprocessed all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 Mars Bar,
  • 1/4 cup pecan, chopped
  • sea salt
  1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking parchment over a baking tray.
  2. Cream together butter (peanut butter) and sugar. Whisk in egg and vanilla extract. Set aside.
  3. Sift flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl.
  4. Fold flour mixture into butter mixture. Add fillings.
  5. Transfer batter to baking parchment one tablespoon at a time. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment