Saturday, December 19, 2009

Barley Grilled Vegetable Salad with Avocado Dressing



Finally the long awaited house-warming/ Christmas party at Sandra and Nico's was here. It was aptly themed "Bring your own food". Clever hosts. I thought I would bring some dessert but Francois said he was bringing something sweet. Gate also mentioned raspberry crumble. What a bummer. What can I bring that I could prepare in advance, ok to be served not warm?

I thought about making a fruit salad with maple-spiced nuts. Then I remembered there was a pack of barley that I cooked and freeze in the freezer a while back. Maybe I should make a big bowl of something like the Barley Pilaf, which I did and made a few changes to make the preparation easier. I remembered a avocado dressing that I made before, which Adrian liked and decided to use that as a dressing for the grilled vegetables. I added hard-boiled eggs for that extra protein for the vegetarian Yogis and Yoginis. There's also the roasted cashew for the texture and goat cheese for the distinctive taste.



The dressing ingredients would most likely make more than what you need. We used the extra as nacho dipping; worked as guacamole. For some reason, besides Adrian, I knew Sandra would approve the dish. She did. I was pleasantly surprised that everyone else did too! I don't get to cook for many people all the time. Sometimes I think Adrian may be just acting out to keep me in the kitchen. It's good to know others enjoyed my cooking too.

Ingredients:
For the dressing:
(you may not need all of this)
  • 2 avocados
  • 2 cups coriander leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • sea salt to taste
  1. Blend all the ingredients together to a smooth consistency. Set aside in the refrigerator.
For the barley:
  • 2 Cups cooked barley
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  1. Saute onion with a generous pinch of sea salt until translucent. Add garlic, fry until fragrant. Stir in cooked barley. Toss to coat. Set aside.
For the tomatoes:
  • 10 Cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 TB Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon each of cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili flakes and ground coriander
  • Natural cane sugar
  1. Preheat oven at 200C.
  2. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar and spices. Toss in tomatoes to coat.
  3. Arrange tomatoes on baking pan with cut sides up. Sprinkle sugar over tomatoes.
  4. Bake until tomatoes are shrunken, about 20 minutes.
For the vegetables:
  • 2 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into wedges
  • 2 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into wedges
  • 2 zucchini, cut into 1" thick coins
  • 1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 Cup Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  1. Whisk all ingredients together. Toss in vegetables. Bake in oven until tender.
  2. Remove from oven. Cut zucchini coins into quarters. Cube vegetables.
To assemble:
  • 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced into coins
  • 1 cup cashew nuts, roasted and chopped
  • Goat cheese, crumbled
  • coriander leaves to garnish
  1. In a large serving bowl, toss barley with 1/4 of the avocado dressing.
  2. Top with grilled vegetables, tomatoes, eggs, cashew nuts and goat cheese. Drizzle more dressing over. Garnish with coriander leaves if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment