Friday, December 18, 2009

Homemade Sourdough English Muffins



Now that the sourdough starter is ready, I shall proceed with Sourdough English Muffins as planned. Most of the online recipes I found are similar. I followed the recipe from this site. However, in Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice he instructed to bake the fried muffins in a oven at 180C for 5 - 8 minutes to ensure the center is baked. I didn't do this step and it didn't turn out to be necessary in my case.

Instead of cutting the muffins with knife, Peter Reinhart suggests to do it with fork to create the nooks and crevices "fork-split" English muffins that commercial brands like to trumpet about.

I like them being crispy on the outside, and soft and moist on the inside. I thought they were really good but Adrian didn't comment much, not as enthusiastic as he usually does. But he asked to have one more after the first one. I take it that i can now tick Sourdough English Muffins off my to-bake list.


Instead of using cookies cutter, I used round glass. I made 11 3" wide 1/2" thick muffins.


These are fun to make. Instead of baking in the oven, the muffins are fried in a skillet or on a griddle - 6 - 8 minutes on one side before flipping over to fry the other side.


The muffins are fried to just golden brown. Some are turning a little burned. Got to watch the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment