Friday, October 23, 2009

Parmesan Polenta with Chili-roasted Mushroom



I have been wanting to make this savory polenta since the day I bought the polenta. For some reasons I kept getting sidetracked by the sweet polenta recipes:
Anyway here it is. It's better than I thought it would be. Parmesan goes very well with the otherwise bland polenta. I must also credit it to the chili-roasted mushrooms: It started with the inspiration coming from chili-roasted tomatoes that I made last night and the bottle of chili oil that I whisked up months ago for Hummus on Fire. Last but not least: my latest discovery of egg frying trick.



If you don't have cream, use 1 Cup milk to 1 Cup water. I ran out of milk hence the use of cream.

Ingredients:
(2 main servings)
  • 1/2 C uncooked organic polenta
  • 1/2 C cream
  • 1 1/2 C water
  • salt and pepper
  • Mushrooms, cut into bite-sized chunks
  • Splash of dried chili-infused olive oil
  • sea salt and black pepper
  • Pinch of paprika
  • 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, shaved
  • Chives, chopped
  • 2 Eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Coat chopped mushrooms with chili oil, sea salt, black pepper and paprika. Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
  3. In a saucepan, mix together polenta, cream, water, salt and pepper. Bring it to boiling over medium heat, turn to low heat and let cook over cracked lid.
  4. In a skillet, heat a tablespoon of butter over medium heat until sizzling. Crack the eggs over. When egg whites set, pour a couple tablespoons of water over and cover with lid. Remove when egg yolks are cooked to desired doneness.
  5. Stir Parmesan into cooked polenta and spoon into individual serving plates. Top it with chili roasted mushrooms, fried egg and garnish with chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment