Friday, May 7, 2010

Tempeh and Strawberry Salad with Watermelon Dressing


I thought this was incredible when I read the ingredients list. The only thing I have problem with is the use of Strawberry Basil Balsamic Vinegar. Does it mean the balsamic vinegar comes with such flavor? If it did, I have no doubt I won't find it here. Perhaps I can concoct my own version of this intriguing balsamic vinegar. Besides, I'm seriously eager to cook with the basil that Josh gave us. He planted a bunch of them and gave me a pot that comes with Lemon Basil, Italian Basil, and Sweet Basil.


I like the idea that I can sniff around the stalks and leaves to identify which species is the one I need. How organic!

Strawberry Basil Balsamic Marinade
  • 1/2 cup Olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
  • Fresh strawberries, halved
  • Basil leaves
  • Salt and pepper
Blend everything together and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Set aside.


  • 6 Tablespoons Strawberry basil balsamic marinade
  • Organic black bean tempeh
  1. Pour 2 tablespoons of the balsamic marinade to a baking pan. Place tempeh over the pan in one single layer. Pour the rest of the balsamic marinade over. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Remove tempeh from the fridge. Melt just enough butter to coat skillet over medium heat. Place tempeh on heated skillet. Pour the marinade over. Cook tempeh on each side until cooked through. Cut into serving size.
Watermelon Dressing
  • watermelon, chopped and pureed
  • 3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Strawberry Basil Balsamic Marinade
  • 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
Whisk one cup of watermelon puree with the rest of the ingredients.

To Assemble
  • Salad greens
  • Cooked Asparagus
  • Fresh Strawberries, halved
  • Onion, thinly sliced
Divide and place salad greens onto individual serving plates. Top it with tempeh. Add a thin slice of onion. Layer with asparagus and strawberry. Drizzle watermelon puree over to serve. Sprinkle with a handful of pine nuts if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment